[nova] Deprecating the XenAPI driver

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Sep 12 23:51:30 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-09-12 at 18:03 -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 9/12/2019 11:11 AM, James Benson wrote:
> > I am currently working on trying to deploy Xen OpenStack.  Currently I
> > have been trying to get it working on Rocky with Xen6.0 and will code
> > fix for Stein/Train as well if possible. Trying to get a working
> > solution with Rocky then will patch up the line. I have reached out to
> > the last person who submitted a bug fix in Xen (with no response), but I
> > am actively trying to get this working.  Unfortunately it is a one-man
> > job, so it is taking a lot of time. Currently facing issues with Nova
> > and Neutron.
>
> Thanks for letting us know you're trying to get nova working with the
> xenapi driver James. The last time there was sustained effort on that
> driver was in Rocky so I would not be surprised if there are issues in
> Stein or Train. If you have fixes please contribute them upstream.
> However, I think we should still move forward with deprecation of the
> driver as a clear indication of the lack of maintainers on the driver.
> If that changes in the Ussuri release we have the option to undeprecate
> but I think it's important to clearly signal the state of maintenance
> for parts of nova so people don't start using them just to find out
> later they'll be in a bad state (which you might have already found out).
i dont think this applies to libvirt + xen but i think the direct to xen server
implmenation requires a specific version of like python 2.6 or an early version of 2.7
to work or put another it wont work with python 3. that it might have changed but
i remember trying to help somomn debug the xenserver driver in kolla aboud a year ago
and i dont think that any work has been done to make it python 3 compatiable.

so if we are to keep it in Ussuri some heavy lifting would be needed to make it run
python 3 only.