[all][elections][ptl] Combined Project Team Lead and Technical Committee Election Conclusion and Results

Jay Bryant jungleboyj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 14:42:34 UTC 2019

On 9/5/2019 5:33 AM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
>   ---- On Thu, 05 Sep 2019 19:04:39 +0900 Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote ----
>   > On Thu, 5 Sep 2019, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>   >
>   > > So maybe we still have the same expectations, but we are definitely reducing
>   > > our velocity... Would you say we need to better align our expectations with
>   > > our actual speed? Or that we should reduce our expectations further, to drive
>   > > velocity further down?
>   >
>   > We should slow down enough that the vendors and enterprises start to
>   > suffer. If they never notice, then it's clear we're trying too hard
>   > and can chill out.
>
> +1 on this but instead of slow down and make vendors suffer we need the proper
> way to notify or make them understand about the future cutoff effect on OpenStack
> as software. I know we have been trying every possible way but I am sure there are
> much more managerial steps can be taken.  I expect Board of Director to come forward
> on this as an accountable entity. TC should raise this as high priority issue to them (in meetings,
> joint leadership meeting etc).
Agreed.  I think that partially falls into the community's hands
itself.  I have spent years advocating for OpenStack in my company and
have started having success.  The problem is that it is a slow process.
I am hoping that others are doing the same and we will start seeing a
reverse in the trend.  Otherwise, I think we need help from the
foundation leadership to reach out and start re-engaging companies.

> I am sure this has been brought up before, can we make OpenStack membership company
> to have a minimum set of developers to maintain upstream. With the current situation, I think
> it make sense to ask them to contribute manpower also along with membership fee.  But again
> this is more of BoD and foundation area.
I had this thought, but it is quite likely that then I would not be able
to contribute anymore.  :-(  So, I fear that could be a slippery slope
for many people.