[all][elections][ptl] Combined Project Team Lead and Technical Committee Election Conclusion and Results

Jay Bryant jungleboyj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 14:37:39 UTC 2019

> - reduce the number of TC members from 13 to 9 (I actually proposed
> that 6 months ago at the PTG but that was not as popular then). A
> group of 9 is a good trade-off between the difficulty to get enough
> people to do project stewardship and the need to get a diverse set of
> opinions on governance decision.

I am in support of this.  Seems appropriate to support the level of
participation in OpenStack.
> - allow "PTL" role to be multi-headed, so that it is less of a
> superhuman and spreading the load becomes more natural. We would not
> elect/choose a single person, but a ticket with one or more names on
> it. From a governance perspective, we still need a clear contact point
> and a "bucket stops here" voice. But in practice we could (1) contact
> all heads when we contact "the PTL", and (2) consider that as long as
> there is no dissent between the heads, it is "the PTL voice". To
> actually make it work in practice I'd advise to keep the number of
> heads low (think 1-3).

No concerns with this given that it has been something we have
unofficially done in Cinder for years.  I couldn't have gotten things
done the way I did without help from Sean McGinnis.  Now that the torch
has been passed to Brian I plan to continue to support him there.
>> [...]
>> We drastically need to change the expectations we place on ourselves
>> in terms of velocity.
>
> In terms of results, train cycle activity (as represented by merged
> commits/day) is globally down 9.6% compared to Stein. Only considering
> "core" projects, that's down 3.8%.
>
> So maybe we still have the same expectations, but we are definitely
> reducing our velocity... Would you say we need to better align our
> expectations with our actual speed? Or that we should reduce our
> expectations further, to drive velocity further down?

In the case of Cinder our velocity is slowing due to reduced review
activity.  That is soon going to be a big problem and we have had little
luck at encouraging to do more reviews again.  I have also found that we
have had to get better at saying 'No' to things.  This is in the
interest of avoiding burnout.  There is a lot we want to do but if it
isn't a priority for someone it simply isn't going to get done.
Prioritizing the work has become increasingly important.

As has been touched upon in other discussions, I think we have a culture
where it is difficult for them to say no to things.  It is great that
people care about OpenStack and want to make things happen but it can't
be at the cost of people  burning out.  To some extent we need to slow
velocity.  If corporations don't step up to start helping out then we
must be doing what needs to get done.