[i18n][tc] The future of I18n

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Sep 6 09:36:38 UTC 2019

Hi!

The I18n project team had no PTL candidates for Ussuri, so the TC needs
to decide what to do with it. It just happens that Ian kindly
volunteered to be an election official, and therefore could not
technically run for I18n PTL. So if Ian is still up for taking it, we
could just go and appoint him.

That said, I18n evolved a lot, to the point where it might fit the SIG
profile better than the project team profile.

As a reminder, project teams are responsible for producing
OpenStack-the-software, and since they are all integral in the
production of the software that we want to release on a time-based
schedule, they come with a number of mandatory tasks (like designating a
PTL every 6 months).

SIGs (special interest groups) are OpenStack teams that work on a
mission that is not directly producing a piece of the OpenStack release.
SIG members are bound by their mission, rather than by a specific
OpenStack release deliverable. There is no mandatory task, as it is OK
if the group goes dormant for a while.

The I18n team regroups translators, with an interest of making OpenStack
(in general, not just the software) more accessible to non-English
speakers. They currently try to translate the OpenStack user survey, the
Horizon dashboard messages, and key documentation.

It could still continue as a project team (since it still produces
Horizon translations), but I'd argue that at this point it is not what
defines them. The fact that they are translators is what defines them,
which IMHO makes them fit the SIG profile better than the project team
profile. They can totally continue proposing translation files for
Horizon as a I18n SIG, so there would be no technical difference. Just
less mandatory tasks for the team.

Thoughts ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)