[Horizon] Paging and Angular...

Marek Lyčka marek.lycka at ultimum.io
Fri Sep 6 09:33:40 UTC 2019

Hi,

> we need people familiar with Angular and Horizon's ways of using Angular
(which seem to be very
> non-standard) that would be willing to write and review code.
Unfortunately the people who originally
> introduced Angular in Horizon and designed how it is used are no longer
interested in contributing,
> and there don't seem to be any new people able to handle this.

I've been working with Horizon's Angular for quite some time and don't mind
keeping at it, but
it's useless unless I can get my code merged, hence my original message.

As far as attracting new developers goes, I think that removing some
barriers to entry couldn't hurt -
seeing commits simply lost to time being one of them. I can see it as being
fairly demoralizing.

> Personally, I think that a better long-time strategy would be to remove
all
> Angular-based views from Horizon, and focus on maintaining one language
and one set of tools.

Removing AngularJS wouldn't remove JavaScript from horizon. We'd still be
left with a home-brewish
framework (which is buggy as is). I don't think removing js completely is
realistic either: we'd lose
functionality and worsen user experience. I think that keeping Angular is
the better alternative:

1) A lot of work has already been put into Angularization, solving many
problems
2) Unlike legacy js, Angular code is covered by automated tests
3) Arguably, improvments are, on average, easier to add to Angular than
pure js implementations

Whatever reservations there may be about the current implementation can be
identified and addressed, but
all in all, I think removing it at this point would be counterproductive.

M.

čt 5. 9. 2019 v 14:28 odesílatel Radomir Dopieralski <openstack at sheep.art.pl>