[tc][neutron] Supported Linux distributions and their kernel

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Thu Sep 5 15:20:43 UTC 2019

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019, at 8:10 AM, Adrian Chiris wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I was wondering what is the guideline in regards to which kernels are
> supported by OpenStack in the various Linux distributions.
>

> Looking at [1], Taking for example latest CentOS major (7):
>
> Every “minor” version is released with a different kernel version,
>
> the oldest being released in 2014 (CentOS 7.0, kernel 3.10.0-123) and
> the newest released in 2018 (CentOS 7.6, kernel 3.10.0-957)
>

> While I understand that OpenStack projects are expected to support all
> CentOS 7.x releases.

It is my understanding that CentOS (and RHEL?) only support the current/latest point release of their distro [3]. We only test against that current point release. I don't expect we can be expected to support a distro release which the distro doesn't even support.

All that to say I would only worry about the most recent point release.

[3] https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-dcca41e9a3d5ac4c6d900a991990fd11930867d6