[all][elections][ptl] Combined Project Team Lead and Technical Committee Election Conclusion and Results

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Sep 5 11:41:29 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-09-05 at 11:04 +0100, Chris Dent wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2019, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>
> > So maybe we still have the same expectations, but we are definitely reducing
> > our velocity... Would you say we need to better align our expectations with
> > our actual speed? Or that we should reduce our expectations further, to drive
> > velocity further down?
>
> We should slow down enough that the vendors and enterprises start to
> suffer. If they never notice, then it's clear we're trying too hard
> and can chill out.
well openstack has already slowed alot.
i think i dont really agree with Thierry's assertion that lack of participation
is driven by vendors being less interested in openstack. i have not felt that at
least in my time at redhat. when i was at intel i did feel that part of the reason
that the investment that was been made was reducing was not driven by the lack of hype
but by how slow adding some feature that really mattered were in openstack already.

there are still feature that i had working in lab envs that were proposed upstream and
are only now finally being addressed/fix that have been in flight for 4+ years.
im not trying to pick on any project in particular with that comment because i have experience
several multi cycle delays acorss several project either directly or via the people i work with
day to day, in the time i have been working on openstack.

our core teams to a lot of really good work, they do land alot of important feature and
have been driving to improve the quality of the code and our documentation. Asking a core to also
take on the durties of PTL is a lot on top of that. Until recently i assumed as i think many did
that to run for PTL you had to be a core team member, not that i was really considering it in anycase
but similarly many people assume to be a stable core you have to a core or to be on the technical commit
you have to be well technical.  part of the lack of engagement might be that not everyone knows
they can tack part in some of the governance activities be they technical or organisational.

i comment on TC and governace topics from time to time but i also personally feel that getting involed with
either a PTL role or TC role would be a daunting task, even though i know many of the people invovled,
it would still be out of my comfort zone. which is why if feel comfortable engaging with the campaigns
and voting in the election but have never self nominated. spreading the load would help with that.