[all][elections][ptl] Combined Project Team Lead and Technical Committee Election Conclusion and Results

Tom Barron tpb at dyncloud.net
Thu Sep 5 11:36:36 UTC 2019

On 05/09/19 19:33 +0900, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> ---- On Thu, 05 Sep 2019 19:04:39 +0900 Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote ----
> > On Thu, 5 Sep 2019, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> >
> > > So maybe we still have the same expectations, but we are definitely reducing
> > > our velocity... Would you say we need to better align our expectations with
> > > our actual speed? Or that we should reduce our expectations further, to drive
> > > velocity further down?
> >
> > We should slow down enough that the vendors and enterprises start to
> > suffer. If they never notice, then it's clear we're trying too hard
> > and can chill out.
>
>+1 on this but instead of slow down and make vendors suffer we need the proper
>way to notify or make them understand about the future cutoff effect on OpenStack
>as software. I know we have been trying every possible way but I am sure there are
>much more managerial steps can be taken.  I expect Board of Director to come forward
>on this as an accountable entity. TC should raise this as high priority issue to them (in meetings,
>joint leadership meeting etc).
>
>I am sure this has been brought up before, can we make OpenStack membership company
>to have a minimum set of developers to maintain upstream. With the current situation, I think
>it make sense to ask them to contribute manpower also along with membership fee.  But again
>this is more of BoD and foundation area.

+1

IIUC Gold Membership in the Foundation provides voting privileges at a
cost of $50-200K/year and Corporate Sponsorship provides these plus
various marketing benefits at a cost of $10-25K/year.  So far as I can
tell there is not a requirement of a commitment of contributors and
maintainers with the exception of the (currently closed) Platinum
Membership, which costs $500K/year and requires at least 2 FTE
equivalents contributing to OpenStack.  In general I see requirements
for annual cash expenditure to the Foundation, as for membership in
any joint commercial enterprise, but little that ensures the
availability of skilled labor for ongoing maintenance of our projects.

-- Tom Barron