[heat] Resource handling in Heat stacks

Rabi Mishra ramishra at redhat.com
Wed Sep 4 06:34:40 UTC 2019

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 11:41 AM Andreas Florath <andre at florath.net> wrote:

> Hello!
>

> Can please anybody tell me, if all resources which are created
> within a Heat stack belong to the stack in the way that
> all the resources are freed / deleted when the stack is deleted?
>
> IMHO all resources which are created during the initial creation or
> update of a stack, even if they are ephemeral or only internal
> created, must be deleted when the stack is deleted by OpenStack Heat
> itself. Correct?
>
> My question might see obvious, but I did not find an explicit hint in
> the documentation stating this.
>

> The reason for my question: I have a Heat template which uses two
> images to create a server (using block_device_mapping_v2). Every time
> I run an 'openstack stack create' and 'openstack stack delete' cycle
> one ephemeral volume is left over / gets not deleted.

I think it's due toe delete_on_termination[1] property of bdmv2 which is
interpreted as 'False', if not specified. You can set it to 'True' to
delete the volumes along with server. I've not checked if it's different
from how nova api behaves though.

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/heat/latest/template_guide/openstack.html#OS::Nova::Server-prop-block_device_mapping_v2-*-delete_on_termination
<https://review.opendev.org/#/c/341008/>