State of the Gate

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Thu Oct 31 21:15:35 UTC 2019

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 10:23:01AM -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> Things are great! Surprise! I just wanted to let everyone know. Later!
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> Now that you've been tricked, on Halloween no less, I'm here to tell you
> that things suck right now. This is your periodic digest of issues. Grab
> some fun-sized candy bars and read on.
>
> I think right now we have three major issues.
>
> 1. http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/index.html#1763070
>
> This has resurfaced and I'm not sure why, nor do I think we ever had a great
> handle on what is causing this or how to work around it so if anyone has new
> ideas please chip in.

I think that this is "just" some slowdown of node on which job is running. I
noticed it too in some neutron jobs and I checked some. It seems that one API
request is processed for very long time. For example in one of fresh examples:
https://13cf3dd11b8f009809dc-97cb3b32849366f5bed744685e46b266.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/692206/3/check/tempest-integrated-compute/35ecb4a/job-output.txt
it was request to nova which caused very long time:

Oct 31 16:55:08.632162 ubuntu-bionic-inap-mtl01-0012620879 devstack at n-api.service[7191]: INFO nova.api.openstack.requestlog [None req-275af2df-bd4e-4e64-b46e-6582e8de5148 tempest-ServerDiskConfigTestJSON-1598674508 tempest-ServerDiskConfigTestJSON-1598674508] 198.72.124.104 "POST /compute/v2.1/servers/d15d2033-b29b-44f7-b619-ed7ef83fe477/action" status: 500 len: 216 microversion: 2.1 time: 161.951140

> 2. http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/index.html#1844929
>
> I've done some digging into this one and my notes are in the bug report. It
> mostly affects grenade jobs but is not entirely restricted to grenade jobs.
> It's also mostly on OVH and FortNebula nodes but not totally.
>
> From looking at the mysql logs in the grenade jobs, mysqld is (re)started
> three times. I think (1) for initial package install, (2) for stacking
> devstack on the old side, and (3) for stacking devstack on the new side.
> After the last restart, there are a lot of aborted connection messages in
> the msyql error log. It's around then that grenade is running post-upgrade
> smoke tests to create a server and the nova-scheduler times out
> communicating with the nova_cell1 database.
>
> I have a few patches up to grenade/devstack [1] to try some things and get
> more msyql logs but so far they aren't really helpful. We need someone with
> some more mysql debugging experience to help here, maybe zzzeek or mordred?
>
> 3. CirrOS guest SSH issues
>
> There are several (some might be duplicates):
>
> http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/index.html#1848078

This one is I think the same as we have reported in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1850557

Basically we noticed issues with dhcp after resize/migration/shelve of instance
but I didn't have time to investigate it yet.

--
Slawek Kaplonski
Senior software engineer