[resource-management-sig] Status of the "Resource Management" SIG

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue Oct 29 13:44:38 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 12:23 +0000, Chris Dent wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2019, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>
> > I was wondering about the status of the Resource Management SIG... It's been
> > "forming" according to https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Res_Mgmt_SIG since
> > January 2018... And I could'nt find a reference or log to any meeting after
> > that.
>
> I think it is fair to say that this has failed to launch. Jay's
> moved on to other things, I have maybe a pinkie toe of attention
> left to community things, and I'm unable to speak for Howard (which
> says something in itself).
>
> > Does anyone have updated status on this one? Should it be removed from the
> > list of active SIGs at https://governance.openstack.org/sigs/ ?
>
> Unless we hear from Howard pretty soon I'd say, for the sake of
> tidying things up and accurately reflecting reality, it would be a
> good idea to remove it.
>
> Which is unfortunate. I suspect that in mixed VNF and CNF
> environments or multi-cloud settings where both will be accessed,
> having a consistent overview and nomenclature for resources would be
> a good thing.
well to that point i think working to integrate os-traits and placmenet with kubernetes
to allow both opentack and kubernetes to run on the same plathform to support miext vnf cnf
deployment would be a great future use of placement and openstack/kubernetes collabaration.

we already have touch points with kuryr/neutron, cinder, nova/ironic and keystone integration with k8s
i think placment would also be a strong candidate. for example i can see maping traits to kubernetes
lables and using placemnt to track pod resouce garentees(i forget the k8s name for that).

that said while im moderatly interested in this topic its not what im currently working on so i have
not been following the work or lack there of of the sig and im not sure if i would be able to if
it was to continue. i will proably bring this topic up on the placment channel again at some point
if i have more time to spend on it.