[nova][ptg] Virtual PTG

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Thu Oct 24 22:28:50 UTC 2019

Hello nova contributors and other stakeholders.

As you are aware, nova maintainers will be sparser than usual at the
ussuri PTG. For that reason, and also because it promotes better
inclusion anyway, I'd like us to do the majority of decision making via
the mailing list. The PTG is still a useful place to talk through design
ideas, but this will give those not attending a voice in the final
direction.

To that end, I call your attention to the etherpad [1]. As usual, list
your topics there. And if your topic is something for which you only
need (or wish to start with) in-person discussions (e.g. "I'd like to do
$thing but could use some help figuring out $how"), you're done.

But if what you're shooting for is discussion leading to some kind of
decision, like...

- My spec has been stalled because we can't decide among N different
approaches; we need to reach a consensus.
- My feature is really important; can we please prioritize it for ussuri?

...then in addition to putting your topic on the etherpad, please
initiate a (separate) thread on this mailing list, including [nova][ptg]
in your subject line.

Some of these topics may be resolved before the PTG itself. Others may
be discussed in Shanghai. However, even if a consensus is reached in
person, expect that decision to be tentative pending closure of the ML
thread.

Thanks,
efried

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-shanghai-ptg