[qa] [all] Opinion on dropping the py2.7 support from Tempest & Tempest plugin

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Oct 23 20:56:38 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-10-23 at 13:07 -0700, Clark Boylan wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019, at 12:36 PM, Alex Schultz wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 1:27 PM Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On 10/23/2019 2:08 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> > >  > What happens if we drop py2.7 from Tempest:
> > >  > * Users with the above case have the way to install the latest Tempest on virtual env of py3. or use
> > >  > the Tempest tag if they do not need latest Tempest.
> > >
> > >  This seems sufficient to me and testing from a tag is what we're doing
> > >  upstream in stable/ocata and stable/pike branches anyway - not because
> > >  of python version stuff but because of extended maintenance and backward
> > >  incompatible changes since those branches which break testing in ocata
> > >  and pike with tempest from master.
> > >
> > >  > Other solution:
> > >  > One way is to cut the Tempest stable branch and keep the py2.7 support there with eligible backport from
> > > Tempest
> > >  > master which is py3 only. But I would say, QA team has no bandwidth to do so. if anyone wants to maintain that
> > > then
> > >  > we can discuss this option in more detail.
> > >
> > >  I would avoid creating a stable branch for tempest if at all possible
> > >  since we have valid options to workaround it (above) and I just don't
> > >  think we want toy with that idea and the precedent it could set for
> > >  relaxing other rules around how tempest is developed.
> > >

> > My concern is that in tripleo/puppet we currently rely on
> > centos7/python2 as centos8 is still not yet available. So this pretty
> > much means we likely won't be able to run the latest tempest anymore
> > and there goes our validations. We could pin to a version (we've had to
> > do that in the past) but I'd be concerned about things that go untested
> > until we can finally get python3 available. I think it might be
> > beneficial to have a py2-em branch similar to what we do when we create
> > -em branches where folks who still have to have python2 wouldn't be
> > completely blocked.
>
> The infra team has centos-8 images available now. Another option is to run tempest in a container to host python3.
> That should work on CentOS 7.
you also can install py36 on centos 7 form https://ius.io/
the "inline with upstream stable" repos https://github.com/iusrepo/python36
and its also available in eple so you can do python 3 testing fine on centos 7
if you need too.

by the way when i downloaded the centos-8 image form infra glean
did not automaticaly pick up my ssh keys form the openstack metadata serivce
or config drive i assuem that is fixed/works in the gate?