"Large Scale SIG" discussion in Shanghai

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Oct 23 09:57:20 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

As OpenStack clusters grow larger, they hit scaling limitations in a
number of components. To work around this problem, operators create
multiple clusters. In recent visits to OpenStack users, I noticed a
common theme around people interested in working to scale single
clusters past their current limits.

In the past we had various groups trying to identify bottlenecks or work
on alternate technologies (RabbitMQ replacements): the Performance WG,
or the "Large deployment" WG. However those groups had a bit of a wide
focus, and/or are not active anymore.

In Shanghai we'll discuss creating a "Large Scale SIG" that would tackle
specifically those single-cluster-scaling issues. The idea is that by
sharing performance analysis, it can help identify key bottlenecks. By
pooling development resources, it can push fixes or new features to
address those issues.

I directly reached out to several people and organizations interested in
working on that. Please join the session in Shanghai if you'll be
present there and are interested in discussing this topic:

https://www.openstack.org/summit/shanghai-2019/summit-schedule/events/24405/facilitating-running-openstack-at-scale-join-the-large-scale-sig

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)