[keystone] Federated users who wish to use CLI

Jason Anderson jasonanderson at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 21 21:35:33 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I'm in the process of prototyping a federated Keystone using OpenID Connect, which will place ephemeral users in a group that has roles in existing projects. I was testing how it felt from the user's perspective and am confused how I'm supposed to be able to use the openstacksdk with federation. For one thing, the RC files I can download from the "API Access" section of Horizon don't seem like they work; the domain is hard-coded to "Federated", and it also uses a username/password authentication method.

I can see that there is a way to use KSA to use an existing OIDC token, which I think is probably the most "user-friendly" way, but the user still has to obtain this token themselves out-of-band, which is not trivial. Has anybody else set this up for users who liked to use the CLI? Is the solution to educate users about creating application credentials instead?

Thank you in advance,

--
Jason Anderson

Chameleon DevOps Lead
Consortium for Advanced Science and Engineering, The University of Chicago
Mathematics & Computer Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory