[nova] Stance on trivial features for driver configs without integration testing

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 16:33:55 UTC 2019

On 10/17/19 08:39, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> This was brought up in the nova meeting today [1] as:
>
> "Do we have a particular stance on features to the libvirt driver for
> non-integration tested configurations, e.g. lxc [2] and xen [3], meaning
> if they are trivial enough do we just say the driver's quality warning
> on startup is sufficient to let them land since these are changes from
> casual contributors scratching an itch?"
>
> We agreed to move this to the mailing list.
>
> We don't have tempest jobs for the libvirt+lxc or libvirt+xen
> configurations (Citrix used to host 3rd party CI for the latter) and for
> the changes referenced they are from part-time contributors, minor and
> self-contained, and therefore I wouldn't expect them to build CI jobs
> for those configurations or stand up 3rd party CI.
>
> There are cases in the past where we've held features out due to lack of
> CI, e.g. live migration support in the vSphere driver. That's quite a
> bit different in my opinion because (1) it's a much more complicated
> feature, (2) there already was 3rd party CI for the vSphere driver and
> (3) there is a big rich corporation maintaining the driver so I figured
> they could pony up the resources to make that testing happen (and it
> eventually did).
>
> For these other small changes are we OK with letting them in knowing
> that the libvirt driver already logs a quality warning on startup for
> these configs [4]? In this case I am but wanted to ask and I don't think
> this sets a precedent as not all changes are equal.

I'm OK with this and I think the quality warning sets an appropriate
expectation. As I mentioned in the meeting, my opinion is I think
sufficiently trivial changes are fine on this basis. I also wouldn't try
to set a hard precedent because each thing needs review on whether it's
"trivial", but I support a spirit of accepting simple changes without
requiring full blown 3rd party CI, given the quality warnings we have
for the configs mentioned.

-melanie