[stable][oslo] Supporting qemu 4.1.0 on stein and older

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Oct 7 15:44:04 UTC 2019

Hi,

This is related to the FFE for train, but I wanted to discuss it
separately because I think the circumstances are a bit different. Qemu
4.1.0 did not exist during the Stein cycle, so it's not clear to me that
backporting bug fixes for it is valid. The original author of the patch
actually wants it for Rocky, which is basically in the same situation as
Stein. I should note he's willing to carry the patch downstream if
necessary.

On the one hand, it sounds like this is something at least one operator
wants, but on the other I'm not sure the stable policy supports
backporting patches to support a version of a dependency that didn't
exist when the release was initially cut. I'm soliciting opinions on how
to proceed here.

Reference: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/686532

Thanks.

-Ben