[nova][ptg] Review culture (was: Ussuri scope containment)

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue Oct 1 22:10:22 UTC 2019

---- On Tue, 01 Oct 2019 11:19:44 -0500 Balázs Gibizer <balazs.gibizer at est.tech> wrote ----

 > On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 5:00 PM, Eric Fried <openstack at fried.cc> wrote:
 > > Thanks for the responses, all.
 > >
 > > This subthread is becoming tangential to my original purpose, so I'm
 > > renaming it.
>> (A) Constrain scope, drastically. We marked 25 blueprints complete in
>> Train [3]. Since there has been no change to the core team, let's limit
>> Ussuri to 25 blueprints [4]. If this turns out to be too few, what's the
>> worst thing that happens? We finish everything, early, and wish we had
>> do ne more. If that happens, drinks are on me, and we can bump the number
>> for V.

I like the idea here and be more practical than theoretical ways to handle such situation especially in Nova case.
If the operator complains about less accepted BP then, we can ask them to invest developers in upstream which can
avoid such cap.

But my question is same as gibi, what will be the selection criteria (when we have a large number of ready specs)?

>> (B) Require a core to commit to "caring about" a spec before we approve
>> it. The point of this "core liaison" is to act as a mentor to mitigate
>> the cultural issues noted above [5], and to be a first point of contact
>> for reviews. I've proposed this to the spec template here [6].

+100 for this. I am sure this way we can burn more approved BP.

-gmann