[neutron][nova] Rootwrap daemon and privsep

Arnaud Morin arnaud.morin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 15:53:35 UTC 2019

Hey,

If I believe both the nova and neutron documentation:
https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/config.html#DEFAULT.use_rootwrap_daemon
https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/latest/configuration/neutron.html#agent.root_helper_daemon

At scale, we are supposed to enable the rootwrap-daemon option.
I have issues enabling that, but before going further on my issue, I'd
like to understand the difference with privsep daemon.

Is privsep a new daemon which is supposed to replace the rootwrap one?
Is privsep being launch after rootwrap?
IS privsep enabled by default, so I should not care about rootwrap at
all?

I'd like to understand more about that.
Everything I try to find on popular search engine seems outdated, so if
someone could give me a hand on finding the good page to understand that,
I'l love it :p

Cheers,

--
Arnaud Morin