[dev] Upgrading flake8 to support f-strings

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Fri Nov 22 13:58:47 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-11-22 at 13:51 +0000, Sorin Sbarnea wrote:
> Keep in mind pre-commit tool != git-hooks, is like confusing JavaScript with Java ;)
>
> By default pre-commit does not install any hooks. Yes, you can install them, but in 9/10 cases I don't, I only have an
> alias pc="pre-commit run -a" which I run before each git-review. In fact I was considering adding an optional feature
> to git-review to auto run this when the repository has a .pre-commit-config.yml file.
>
> I am glad someone else opened the pre-commit subject before me. While it comes with its own challenges (git cloning),
> pre-commit resolves the problem of having predictable linter results by pinning them. Also it enables vey easy bumping
> of all of them.
>
> AFAIK, over the last year I removed hacking from several projects and replaced it with pre-commit and I am much
> happier.
>
> Not sure if others know but both bashate and doc8 can be used from pre-commit too.
>
> Extra bonus: we can avoid the case where we end-up having tons of jobs performing linting or style checks.
we need to keep the jobs even if we use pre-commit becasue it is optional to run it and we have to comply with teh PTI
rules but addtional linters could be run via a singe pre-comite job.
there is a patch to add precommit support to nova https://review.opendev.org/#/c/665518/ as an optional thing people
can use if they choose too but that has been pending for 3 months at this point.