[meta-sig][multi-arch] propose forming a Multi-arch SIG

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Fri Nov 22 04:05:18 UTC 2019

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 06:03:03PM +0800, Rico Lin wrote:
> Dear all
> In summit, there's a forum for ARM support [1] in Summit which many people
> show they're interested in ARM support for OpenStack.
> And since also we have Linaro shows interest in donating servers to
> OpenStack infra. It's time for community to think about what we should deal
> with those ARM servers once we have them in community infrastructure.
>
> One thing we should do as a community is to gather people for this topic.
> So I propose we create a Multi-arch SIG and aim to support ARM architecture
> as very first step.
> I had the idea to call it ARM SIG before, but since there might be high
> overlap knowledge between support ARM 64 and other architectures. I propose
> we go for Multi-arch instead.
>
> This SIG will be a nice place to collect all the documents, gate jobs, and
> to trace tasks.
>
> If you're also interested in that group, please reply to this email,
> introduce yourself and tell us what you would like the group scope and
> objectives to be, and what you can contribute to the group.

Pick me Pick me :)

I've been around OpenStack for about 5 years now, the last couple have
been focused on brining multi-arch support (albeit ppc64le) into tripleo
building on the enablement work that others have done.

I'm keen to work with the SIG, to build out the ARM support and at the
same time ensure we don't make it hard for other architectures to do the
same

Yours Tony.