[tc][stable] Changing stable branch policy

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Thu Nov 21 14:51:33 UTC 2019

On 11/21/19 7:46 AM, Erno Kuvaja wrote:
> [...]
>     definition of APIs (new API,
>      > changes, discoverability etc) which we say it is fine because
>     that project wants to do that way
>      > but the user faces the problem.  We have not solved this problem
>     yet due to various reasons.
>      >
>      > IMO, this problem could have solved or minimized if we had
>     "Single mandatory way to write
>      > and maintain your API and central team to very that" from
>     *starting* instead of project
>      > decide its own way or recommended guidelines only.
>      >
>      > The same case is for stable backports, we have a "Single
>     mandatory way to backport the changes
>      > and central team to verify that". And due to that, OpenStack is
>     more stable on the backports business.
>      > Why we are changing that?
>
>     This does not change the stable policy, and the existence of
>     project-specific stable-maint teams means there was never a single
>     central team reviewing all stable backports. Even if there had been,
>     it's pretty clear that model doesn't work given the staffing
>     constraints
>     we are facing in almost every area, and which are only going to get
>     worse after this cycle.
>
>     The proposal removes some inflexible process that currently prevents
>     contributors from becoming stable maintainers, it does _not_ mean we
>     stop expecting stable maintainers to understand the stable policy.
>
>      >
>      > Stable backport is more of maintaining the quality and no-break
>     things than merging a large amount
>      > of backports and *fast*.
>      >
>      > -gmann
>      >
>      >   >
>      >   > So sure, +1 from me on the proposal given nova can still do
>     what it's
>      >   > already been doing with a specific stable maint core team ACL
>     in Gerrit.
>      >   >
>      >   > --
>      >   >
>      >   > Thanks,
>      >   >
>      >   > Matt
>      >   >
>      >   >
>      >
>      >

> Sounds like we're back in a spot where Stable Maintenance team probably
> shouldn't be a thing then and I think this time around I do agree.
>
> Perhaps we should just discontinue the Stable Maintenance group all
> together (not just as part of stable reviewers and moderators of in
> project stable maintenance groups) and subject our Stable Branch
> policies and guidelines directly under governance. Obviously unless
> we're planning to put the bolt on TCs head as well being unscalable
> group most don't care about. (We might even get some folks who care
> about stable branches and releases to be interested about TC.)

I don't have a strong opinion about this, other than that it's important
to have someone people can go to for questions about stable backports.
If that's a stable team or some other entity is irrelevant to me, but
unusual situations do come up and the stable team was extremely helpful
with the one I asked about recently[0].

0:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-October/009984.html