AW: [gnocchi][telemetry][ceilometer][cloudkitty] Gnocchi unmaintained

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Nov 21 13:57:56 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-11-21 at 13:29 +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 11/19/19 9:55 PM, Lingxian Kong wrote:
> > I don't think the license change will affect the cloud that only uses
> > MongoDB as internal service backend storage unless I'm missing
> > something.
>
> What you are probably missing, is that none of the downstream
> distribution will continue to package MongoDB. That, for sure, will have
> an effect on what people will use.
>
> If an operator decides to still continue to use these back-end, probably
> it's going to be using outside of the distro packages, which leads to
> many problems, including:
> - inferior quality packages.
> - availability of the repositories (ie: not enough mirror, just the one
> of upstream).
> - impossibility to redistribute the packages (for example: on an ISO
> image, or in a repository), and it may even be forbidden to publish a
> public repository with it.
> - probably, folks contributing to config management project will be
> reluctant to offer compatibility for these back-ends.
>
> With my Debian OpenStack package maintainer hat on: I will certainly
> ignore any backend that would be using MongoDB or InfluxDB, as these
> cannot be used without non-debian packages.
influxdb is mit licensed so im not sure why you would not be able to package
or redistribute it in debian.
https://github.com/influxdata/influxdb/blob/master/LICENSE
mongodb is a different story but we shoudl not paint influx with the same brush
and it should be a valid alternitive to Gnocchi as it is a time serise database.
>  I also will do my best to
> convince everyone that using non-free software is a bad idea, and that
> these company who broke the free software license promise cannot be
> trusted anymore.
if that is your goal then you should advocate for influxDB then since its under
an even more liberial license then gnocchi was.