AW: [gnocchi][telemetry][ceilometer][cloudkitty] Gnocchi unmaintained

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Nov 21 12:29:01 UTC 2019

On 11/19/19 9:55 PM, Lingxian Kong wrote:
> I don't think the license change will affect the cloud that only uses
> MongoDB as internal service backend storage unless I'm missing
> something.

What you are probably missing, is that none of the downstream
distribution will continue to package MongoDB. That, for sure, will have
an effect on what people will use.

If an operator decides to still continue to use these back-end, probably
it's going to be using outside of the distro packages, which leads to
many problems, including:
- inferior quality packages.
- availability of the repositories (ie: not enough mirror, just the one
of upstream).
- impossibility to redistribute the packages (for example: on an ISO
image, or in a repository), and it may even be forbidden to publish a
public repository with it.
- probably, folks contributing to config management project will be
reluctant to offer compatibility for these back-ends.

With my Debian OpenStack package maintainer hat on: I will certainly
ignore any backend that would be using MongoDB or InfluxDB, as these
cannot be used without non-debian packages. I also will do my best to
convince everyone that using non-free software is a bad idea, and that
these company who broke the free software license promise cannot be
trusted anymore.

So definitively, the change of license is problematic in many ways.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)