[tc][stable] Changing stable branch policy

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 14:21:29 UTC 2019

On 11/20/2019 1:18 AM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> Because the core stable team is necessarily not as familiar with the
> review/backport history of contributors in every project as the
> individual project stable team is with contributors in each project.

This is assuming that each project has a stable core team already, which
a lot don't, that's why we get a lot of "hi I'm the PTL du jour on
project X now please make me stable core even though I've never reviewed
any stable branch changes before".

With Tony more removed these days and I myself not wanting to vet every
one of these "add me to the stable core team" requests, I'm more or less
OK with the proposal so that it removes me as a bottleneck. That might
mean people merge things on stable branches for their projects that
don't follow the guidelines but so be it. If it's a problem hopefully
they'll hear about it from their consumers, but if the project is in
such maintenance mode anyway that they can break the stable guidelines,
then they might not have many external consumers to complain anyway.
Either way I don't need to be involved.

So sure, +1 from me on the proposal given nova can still do what it's
already been doing with a specific stable maint core team ACL in Gerrit.

Matt