AW: [gnocchi][telemetry][ceilometer][cloudkitty] Gnocchi unmaintained

Lingxian Kong anlin.kong at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 20:55:22 UTC 2019

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 8:33 AM Matthias Runge <mrunge at matthias-runge.de>
wrote:

> tbh, I am surprised to see the telemetry team trying to roll back to
> something, which is known to cause a lot of performance issues. There
> were good reasons for splitting ceilometer into several components.

I understand your concerns and the team will find a better way to deal
with the rollback, the expected result is that it won't break anyone who
are using Gnocchi or other storage backend but it means much to the
cloud providers(like OVH and us) who are still using old version
Ceilometer and relying on the API.

> There were lots of good ideas and suggestions already shared in this
> thread. My proposal here would be to keep ceilometer as is (as data
> collecting agent) and to write missing glue to digest or send data to a
> time-series database, like InfluxDB or Prometheus (plus many more
> options, not mentioned here).

Does InfluxDB or Prometheus support to store samples that could be
leveraged for auditing or billing purpose? I'm not familiar with TSDB
but I got the answer NO according to the chatting with some other
people.

> If I remember correctly, MongoDB was deprecated because of the issues it
> caused and also because it was removed from Linux distributions, since
> there were the licensing issues.

I don't think the license change will affect the cloud that only uses
MongoDB as internal service backend storage unless I'm missing
something.

-
Best regards,
Lingxian Kong