AW: [gnocchi][telemetry][ceilometer][cloudkitty] Gnocchi unmaintained

Luka Peschke luka.peschke at objectif-libre.com
Tue Nov 19 10:20:45 UTC 2019

My two cents from my experience on cloudkitty: We had to implement
several storage drivers, and faced more or less the same issues as the
telemetry team did before us. We had a gnocchi driver at some point,
which worked pretty well, but ended up being very hacky because gnocchi
lacked flexibility for non-openstack metrics (ie. data models which
aren't resource-based).

We ended up implementing a driver for InfluxDB which has relatively
good perfs. But given that the open-source version of InfluxDB does not
support HA/clustering, we also implemented an experimental Elasticsearch
driver (which requires ES>=6.5).

The recent ES releases have really improved the support for timeseries,
and it is the storage backend for elastic beats.

Given that many openstack deployments already have an Elasticsearch
deployment for logs, and the large adoption of ES, it'd be my choice for
a new Ceilometer storage driver.

However, Gnocchi is pretty stable in 4.3, and well integrated with
Ceilometer. Wouldn't it be less effort to keep it functional for now (ie
only bug/security fixes, no new features), instead of re-integrating
deleted features to ceilometer ?

Cheers,

--
Luka Peschke (peschk_l)