[tc][stable] Changing stable branch policy

Nate Johnston nate.johnston at redhat.com
Mon Nov 18 23:01:06 UTC 2019

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 04:08:24PM -0600, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 11/18/2019 3:40 PM, Mohammed Naser wrote:
> > The proposal that I had was that in mind would be for us to let teams
> > self manage their own stable branches.  I think we've reached a point
> > where we can trust most of our community to be familiar with the
> > stable branch policy (and let teams decide for themselves what they
> > believe is best for the success of their own projects).
>
> So for a project like nova that has a separate nova-core [1] and
> nova-stable-maint team [2] where some from [2] aren't in [1], what does this
> mean? Drop [2] and just rely on [1]? That won't work for those in nova-core
> that aren't familiar enough with the stable branch guidelines or simply
> don't care to review stable branch changes, and won't work for those that
> are in nova-stable-maint but not nova-core.

I wouldn't think that anything would need to change about how Nova does
things.  If the Nova team wants to manage Nova stable branches using
nova-stable-maint then this proposal absolutely supports that.  The main
change is removing stable-maint-core [3] from nove-stable-maint as
stable-maint-core would presumably be dissolving as part of this change.

Many teams already have a stable team [4].  For the ones that don't seem
to (for example packaging-rpm, telemetry, monasca, or kuryr) it would
make sense to make a $PROJECT-stable-maint and then leave it up to that
project to either add $PROJECT-core to it or designate specific members
to manage the stable branches.  So in the end all the teams have the
option to work like Nova does.

Nate

[3] https://review.opendev.org/#/admin/groups/530,members
[4] https://review.opendev.org/#/admin/groups/?filter=stable