[nova] Displayed state of VM when nova-compute is down/unresponsive.

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Fri Nov 15 20:02:15 UTC 2019

> We we're wondering if there was a way to expose the fact that the
> underlying hypervisor is down? Something like a "Warning : no data
> from compute since xx:xx:xx" I did not see any documentation regarding
> a possible configuration option somewhere but a lot of posts with
> people with similar questions.

You're looking for "host_status" in the detailed server output. It gives
you an indication of what the state is of the host the instance is on
without revealing too much and without altering the state of the
instance itself, which as you note could be wrong if the problem is
merely communication.

https://docs.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/?expanded=show-server-details-detail#show-server-details

This is controlled by policy and only visible past microversion 2.16, so
make sure both of those details are handled for whatever users you want
to be able to have that level of vibility.

--Dan