[ptg][neutron] Ussuri PTG summary

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 13:46:23 UTC 2019

Hi,

After the neutron PTG session on the future of ML2/LinuxBridge,
I discussed this topic in the ops-meetup PTG room (L.43- in [1]).

- A lot of needs for Linux Bridge driver was expressed in the room.
- LB is for simple network and many ops need it to keep deployment
simple including a provider network without L3 feature.
- The stats on Linux Bridge usage were shared as well. LB still has a
large user base.  40% use Linux Bridge driver according to a survey in
Wed's ops(?) session
and the user survey last Oct shows 33% use Linux Bridge driver (63%
use OVS based) [2].

This discussion does not mean the deprecation of the linux bridge driver.
In my understanding, the main motivation is how the neutron team can
keep the reference implementations simple.
One example is that the features supported in the linux bridge driver
are behind those in the OVS driver
and some developers think this is the lack of the interest for the
linux bridge driver, but this may show that
most/not small number of linux bridge users just want simple features.

That's my understanding in the PTG. Hope it helps the discussion :)

Thanks,
Akihiro

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/shanghai-ptg-ops-meetup
[2] Deployment Decisions in https://www.openstack.org/analytics