[nova][ptg] Resurrecting NUMA topology in Placement

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue Nov 12 13:26:14 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-11-12 at 11:29 +0100, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
> We discussed about a long known story
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/552924/
>
> The whole agreement during the PTG was to keep things simple with baby
> steps :
> - only supporting a few NUMA queries and defer others as unsupported (still
> supported by legacy NUMATopologyFilter)
> - The to-be-resurrected spec would be only focus on VCPU/PCPU/MEMORY_MB
> resource classes and not handle PCI or GPU devices (ie. level-1 tree, no
> children under the NUMA RPs)
>
> Agreement was also there for saying that functional tests should be enough
> since PlacementFixture already works perfectly.
we can now do numa testing in the gate so we can also add tempest testing this cycle.
artom has recently gotten whitebox to run (more work to do https://review.opendev.org/#/c/691062/)
and i do want to get my multi numa nfv testing job https://review.opendev.org/#/c/679656/ at least
in experimental and perodic pipelines. i would like it to be in check eventually but baby steps.

i dont think these should be a blocker for any of this work but i think we shoudl take advantage
of them to contiue to improve the numa testing in gate.