[nova][ptg] pinned and unpinned CPUs in one instance

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at est.tech
Fri Nov 8 07:09:31 UTC 2019

spec: https://review.opendev.org/668656

Agreements from the PTG:

How we will test it:
* do functional test with libvirt driver, like the pinned cpu tests we
have today
* donyd's CI supports nested virt so we can do pinned cpu testing but
not realtime. As this CI is still work in progress we should not block
on this.
* coverage inhttps://opendev.org/x/whitebox-tempest-pluginis a nice to
have

Naming: use the 'shared' and 'dedicated' terminology

Support both the hw:pinvcpus=3 and the resources:PCPU=2 flavor extra
specs syntaxtbut not in the same flavor. The resources:PCPU=2 syntax
will have less expression power until nova models NUMA in placement. So
nova will try to evenly distribute PCPUs between numa nodes. If it not
possible we reject the request and ask the user to use the
hw:pinvcpus=3 syntax.

Realtime mask is an exclusion mask, any vcpus not listed there has to
be in the dedicated set of the instance.

TODOInvestigate whether we want to enable NUMA by default
* Pros: Simpler, everything is NUMA by default
* Cons: We'll either have to break/make configurablethe 1:1 guest:host
NUMA mapping else we won't be able to boot e.g. a 40 core shared
instance on a 40 core, 2 NUMA node host

Cheers,
gibi