Change Volume Type, but in use

Goutham Pacha Ravi gouthampravi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 19:47:53 UTC 2019

Hey Sinat,

The error message suggests that you have volumes that use the volume type
you're modifying. If yes, with cinder API, since the Rocky release [1], you
cannot modify volume types that are currently in use. The original design
for cinder volume types was that they were always mutable - and changes to
existing volume types didn't affect pre-existing volumes. However, this
behavior was modified in the Ocata release [2], and finally removed in the
Rocky release.

One of your options is to also rename the existing volume type and create a
new one if you'd like, with the original name.

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/cinder/rocky.html#relnotes-13-0-0-stable-rocky-upgrade-notes
[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/440680/