[infra][qa] multiline tracebacks not being indexed anymore

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 00:56:00 UTC 2019

We used to be able to query for things like this:

message:"in reserve_block_device_name" AND message:"MessagingTimeout"
AND tags:"screen-n-api.txt"

to fingerprint a traceback in logstash like this [1] but that no longer
works. The multiline logstash filter is at [2] but doesn't seem to be
getting applied anymore.

I asked about this in -infra today and fungi said:

"(4:44:00 PM) fungi: mriedem: i suspect that coincided with switching
away from osla, we may need some means of parsing tracebacks out of logs
in the indexer"

I don't know what that means (what's osla? is [2] no longer used?) but
if someone could point me at some things to look at I could see if I can
generate a fix.

[1]
https://zuul.opendev.org/t/openstack/build/ef0196fe84804b44ac106d011c8c29ea/log/controller/logs/screen-n-api.txt.gz?severity=4#31403
[2]