[ironic][edge]: Recap of PTG discussions

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Fri May 31 16:09:53 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 8:31 AM Csatari, Gergely (Nokia - HU/Budapest)
<gergely.csatari at nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There was a one hour discussion with Julia from Ironic with the Edge Computing Group [1]. In this mail I try to conclude what was discussed and ask some clarification questions.
>
> Current Ironic uses DHCP for hardware provisioning, therefore it requires DHCP relay enabled on the whole path to the edge cloud instances. There are two alternatives to solve this:
> 1) Virtual media support [2] where the ip configuration is embedded into a virtual image what is booted via the board management interface
> 2) Redfish support, however the state and support of redfish for host management is not clear. Is there already a specification has been added for redfish support?

I don't quite remember discussing redfish in this regard. Is there
something your expecting redfish to be able to provide in this regard?
Redfish virtual media is something we're working on.

> Upgrade of edge cloud infrastructures:
>   - Firmware upgrade should be supported by Ironic. Is this something on its way or is this a new need?

The ilo hardware type supports OOB firmware upgrades. iRMC has code up
in review, and Dell has a posted specification. Work is going into the
redfish libraries to help support this so we will likely see something
for redfish at some point, but it may also be that because of vendor
differences, that we may not be able to provide a generic surface
through which to provide firmware update capabilities through the
generic hardware type.