[tc][ops] reviving osops- repos

Mohammed Naser mnaser at vexxhost.com
Thu May 30 21:12:28 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 4:59 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2019-05-30 15:23:43 -0400 (-0400), Mohammed Naser wrote:
> [...]
> > I've requested to move x/osops-* to openstack-operators/* in
> > GitHub so that I can setup the appropriate mirroring in post
> > pipeline (and then propose a patch to rename things inside Gerrit
> > as well).
> [...]
>
> My only real concern (voiced already with perhaps far less brevity
> in #openstack-tc) is that we should avoid leaving the impression
> that software written by "operators" isn't good enough for the
> openstack/ Git namespace. I want to be sure we remain clear that
> OpenStack was, and still is, written by its operators/users, not by
> some separate and nebulous cloud of "developers."

I would love to personally make it live under the openstack/ namespace
however I do feel like that does make it 'pretty darn official' and the quality
of the tools there isn't something we probably want to put our name under
yet.  A lot of it is really old (2+ years old) and it probably needs a
bit of time
to get into a state where it's something that we can make official.

Personally, I think that repo should be nothing but a 'buffer' between project
features and tools needed by deployers, a lot of the things there seem to be
there because of bugs (i.e. orphaned resource cleanup -- which should ideally
be cleaned up by the service itself or warned there), clean-up disks for deleted
VMs that were not removed, etc.

--
Mohammed Naser — vexxhost
D. 514-316-8872