[cinder] ceph multiattach details?

Erik McCormick emccormick at cirrusseven.com
Tue May 28 12:57:17 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 28, 2019, 8:29 AM Bernd Bausch <berndbausch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for clarifying this Erik. Let me point out then that the release
> notes [1] are worded rather unequivocally, and what you are saying
> contradicts them:
>
> RBD driver has added multiattach support. It should be noted that
> replication and multiattach are mutually exclusive, so a single RBD volume
> can only be configured to support one of these features at a time.
> Additionally, RBD image features are not preserved which prevents a volume
> being retyped from multiattach to another type. This limitation is
> temporary and will be addressed soon.
>
> Bernd.

I haven't even looked at Stein yet so I could be wrong,  but I thin this is
referring to replication like RBD mirroring. There's still an issue in
Ceph, as far as I know, where ceph's object replication would have a
problem with multi-attach. I haven't come across any Ceph release note to
say this has been addressed.

Hopefully someone from the Cinder team can straighten us out.

-Erik