[dev][requirements] Upcoming changes to constraints handling in tox.ini

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Wed May 22 08:26:19 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-05-22 at 13:02 +1000, Tony Breeds wrote:
> Hi folks,
>     This is a heads-up to describe 3 sets of changes you'll start seeing
> starting next week.
>
> 1) lower-constraints.txt handling
>    TL;DR: Make sure projects do not specify a constraint file in install_command
> 2) Switch to the new canonical constraints URL on master
>    TR;DR: Make sure you use https://releases.openstack.org/constraints/upper/master
> 3) Switch to the new canonical constraints URL on stable branches
>    TR;DR: Make sure you use https://releases.openstack.org/constraints/upper/$series
>
> These will be generated from a member of the requirements team[1], and
> will be on the gerrit topic constraints-updates.  We'll start next week
> to give y'all a few days to digest this email

All looks good to me. I'd been fixing this in a piecemeal fashion with
oslo but who knows what other projects do iffy stuff here.

I realize this is bound to be controversial, but would it be possible
to just auto-merge these patches assuming they pass CI? We've had a lot
of these initiatives before and, invariably, there are some projects
that won't get around to merging these for a long time (if ever). We
had to do this recently with the opendev updates to the '.gitreview'
files (I think?) so there is precedent here.

Stephen