[Edge-computing] [ironic][ops] Taking ironic nodes out of production

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Tue May 21 17:28:00 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 9:34 AM Christopher Price
<christopher.price at est.tech> wrote:

> I would add that something as simple as an operator policy could/should be able to remove hardware from an operational domain.  It does not specifically need to be a fault or retirement, it may be as simple as repurposing to a different operational domain. From an OpenStack perspective this should not require any special handling from "retirement", it's just to know that there may be time constraints implied in a policy change that could potentially be ignored in a "retirement scenario".
>
> Further, at least in my imagination, one might be reallocating hardware from one Ironic domain to another which may have implications on how we best bring a new node online.  (or not, I'm no expert) </ end dubious thought stream>

You raise a really good point and we've had some past discussions from
a standpoint of leasing hardware between clusters. One was ultimately
to allow for a federated model where ironic could talk to ironic,
however... that wasn't a very well received idea because it would mean
ironic could become aware of other ironics... And soon ironic takes
over the rest of the world.

> / Chris

[trim]