[auto-scaling] PTG summary

Rico Lin rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com
Tue May 21 16:20:00 UTC 2019

Sorry for the late summary here. As the following action should get
started. Let me try to point out actions and discussions we have from
Summit + PTG. If you care about auto-scaling with/around OpenStack please
join us

All our discussion should be able to found in Etherpad
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DEN-auto-scaling-SIG
For more information about auto-scaling SIG:

   - repo: https://opendev.org/openstack/auto-scaling-sig
   - storyboard:
   https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/openstack/auto-scaling-sig
   - irc: #openstack-auto-scaling
   - meetings: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#Auto-scaling_SIG_Meeting
      - use the ics file so you don't miss the schedule

Call for help: we just formed so we need reviewers and helpers. Let us know
if you would like to be core reviewer for SIG repo, would like to help on
any tasks, or whould like th share any idea with us.

As we try to find out what's the most important action we should take to
initial this SIG, here are some init scope we will try to improve on:

   - Documentation: As we all agreed, document to record the current
   auto-scaling situation and collect use cases or relative resources, so
   users can have a better landscape. We will have to ask other teams to help
   to provide related use cases as one of our first steps. Here are some
   identified tasks: https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2005751
   - Integration tests: Once we set up a basic test environment (which will
   happen soon), we will also try to talk with projects on having a
   cross-project gating CI job. At PTG, we already consult some projects and
   generally got positive feedback. It will be harder to create a CI job for
   autoscaling OpenStack services like nova-compute, so that part is not
   included in the initial plan for now. Here are tasks for now, and please
   suggest more if you see available:
   https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2005752
   - Initial repo setup: Thanks for Adam, we now have our repository and
   irc bot ready, if you check out
   https://docs.openstack.org/auto-scaling-sig/latest/ and
   https://opendev.org/openstack/auto-scaling-sig you will find the doc and
   repo entry is ready.
   - Make a list to identify missing features: Which we should add into the
   docs to really identify missing features that might be some potential
   targets we can ask if project teams would like to have. Or help users to
   avoid mistaken how OpenStack autoscaling might works.
   - Consistent our discussion and task tracking: We not set up missions
   and looks like we have a lot of things need to be done in this cycle, so we
   should keep tracking and make sure we not missing anything
   - Collect Use Cases and user feedbacks: We need to identify use cases
   and any feedback, so if you like to add any use case or scenario to our
   document, please help with added it in
   https://opendev.org/openstack/auto-scaling-sig/src/branch/master/use-cases

--
May The Force of OpenStack Be With You,