[Kolla] Few questions about offline deploy & operation.

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Mon May 20 10:31:48 UTC 2019

On Fri, 17 May 2019 at 02:46, Eddie Yen <missile0407 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a newbie of using Kolla-ansible to deploy OpenStack.
> Everything works well. But I have few questions about Kolla since I was
> using Fuel as deploy tool before.
> The questions may silly, but I really want to know since I didn't found
> much informations to solve my questions..
>

> About offline deployment:
>
> I already known that we need have OS local repository (CentOS or Ubuntu),
> docker local package repository, and local docker registry.
> But one thing I'm not sure that it will use pip to install python packages
> or not. Because I found it will also install pip into target node during
> bootstrap-servers.
> If so, which python package should I prepare for?

If you are using bootstrap-servers, you will need the pip and docker Python
packages available for installation.

Are you building your own images? If so you will probably find it easier to
use binary images than source since these use OS distro packages.

> About operation:
>
> 1. Is it possible to operate a single service to whole OpenStack nodes?
> Like using crm to check status about MySQL or RabbitMQ services on all
> control nodes.

We don't have a simple way to manage the whole cluster of services from one
place. You can use the docker CLI, perhaps configured for TCP transport if
you want remote control, or just via SSH if you don't want to expose it to
the network.

> 2. How can I maintenance the Ceph OSD if OSD down caused by disk issue?
> I know how to rebuild OSD by Ceph commands but I'm not sure how to do if
> ceph-osd running in container.

I don't tend to use Ceph in kolla, so I can't really answer this one. I
couldn't see anything about this in the docs.