[oslo][all] Ending courtesy pings

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed May 15 18:47:03 UTC 2019

On 5/14/19 2:46 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2019-05-14 11:58:03 -0500 (-0500), Ben Nemec wrote:
> [...]
>> The recommendation was for interested parties to set up custom
>> highlights on the "#startmeeting oslo" (or whichever meeting)
>> command.
> [...]
>
> Cross-sections of our community have observed similar success with
> "group highlight" strings (infra-root, tc-members, zuul-maint and so
> on) where the folks who want to get notified as a group can opt to
> add these custom strings to their client configurations.
>
>> people didn't know how to configure their IRC client to do this.
>
> For those using WeeChat, the invocation could be something like this
> in your core buffer:
>
>      /set weechat.look.highlight_regex #startmeeting (oslo|tripleo)
>      /save
>
> Or you could similarly set the corresponding line in the [look]
> section of your ~/.weechat/weechat.conf file and then /reload it:
>
>      highlight_regex = "#startmeeting (oslo|tripleo)"
>
> Extend the (Python flavored) regex however makes sense.
>
> https://www.weechat.org/files/doc/stable/weechat_user.en.html#option_weechat.look.highlight_regex

One other thing I forgot to mention was a suggestion that having dev
docs for some of the common IRC clients would be helpful with this. It
wasn't terribly hard for me to do in Quassel, but I've heard from IRC
Cloud users that they weren't able to find a way to do this. I've never
used it so I'm not much help.

>> Once you do configure it, there's a testing problem in that you
>> don't get notified of your own messages, so you basically have to
>> wait for the next meeting and hope you got it right. Or pull
>> someone into a private channel and have them send a startmeeting
>> command, which is a hassle. It isn't terribly complicated, but if
>> it isn't tested then it's assumed broken. :-)
>
> Or temporarily add one for a meeting you know is about to happen on
> some channel to make sure you have the correct configuration option
> and formatting, at least.

True, and this is what I ended up doing. :-)

>> The other concern was that this process would have to be done any
>> time someone changes IRC clients, whereas the ping list was a
>> central thing that always applies no matter where you're
>> connecting from.
> [...]
>
> I may be an atypical IRC user, but this is far from the most
> complicated part of my configuration which would need to be migrated
> to a new client. Then again, I've only changed IRC clients roughly
> every 8 years (so I guess I'm due to move to a 5th one next year).

Yeah, I can't say this is a huge issue for me personally, but it was
mentioned in the meeting so I included it.