[nova][neutron][ptg] Summary: Leaking resources when ports are deleted out-of-band

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed May 8 16:18:42 UTC 2019

On 5/4/2019 11:57 AM, Balázs Gibizer wrote:
> The failure to detach a port via nova while the nova-compute is down
> could be a bug on nova side.

Depends on what you mean by detach. If the compute is down while
deleting the server, the API will still call the (internal to nova)
network API code [1] to either (a) unbind ports that nova didn't create
or (2) delete ports that nova did create.

For the policy change where the port has to be unbound to delete it,
we'd already have support for that, it's just an extra step.

At the PTG I was groaning a bit about needing to add another step to
delete a port from the nova side, but thinking about it more we have to
do the exact same thing with cinder volumes (we have to detach them
before deleting them), so I guess it's not the worst thing ever.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/56fef7c0e74d7512f062c4046def10401df16565/nova/compute/api.py#L2291

Matt