[nova][all][ptg] Summary: Same-Company Approvals

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed May 8 14:39:23 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-07 15:06:10 -0500 (-0500), Jay Bryant wrote:
> Cinder has been working with the same unwritten rules for quite some time as
> well with minimal issues.
>
> I think the concerns about not having it documented are warranted.  We have
> had question about it in the past with no documentation to point to.  It is
> more or less lore that has been passed down over the releases.  :-)
>
> At a minimum, having this e-mail thread is helpful.  If, however, we decide
> to document it I think we should have it consistent across the teams that
> use the rule.  I would be happy to help draft/review any such documentation.
[...]

I have a feeling that a big part of why it's gone undocumented for
so long is that putting it in writing risks explicitly sending the
message that we don't trust our contributors to act in the best
interests of the project even if those are not aligned with the
interests of their employer/sponsor. I think many of us attempt to
avoid having all activity on a given patch come from people with the
same funding affiliation so as to avoid giving the impression that
any one organization is able to ram changes through with no
oversight, but more because of the outward appearance than because
we don't trust ourselves or our colleagues.

Documenting our culture is a good thing, but embodying that
documentation with this sort of nuance can be challenging.
--
Jeremy Stanley