[placement][nova][ptg] Summary: Consumer Types

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed May 8 14:12:13 UTC 2019

On 5/6/2019 10:49 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
>>> Still nova might want to fix this placement data inconsistency. I
>>> guess the new placement microversion will allow to update the consumer
>>> type of an allocation.
>>
>> Yeah, I think this has to be updated from Nova. I (and I imagine others)
>> would like to avoid making the type field optional in the API. So maybe
>> default the value to something like "incomplete" or "unknown" and then
>> let nova correct this naturally for instances on host startup and
>> migrations on complete/revert. Ideally nova will be one one of the users
>> that wants to depend on the type string, so we want to use our knowledge
>> of which is which to get existing allocations updated so we can depend
>> on the type value later.
>
> Ah, okay, good. If something like "unknown" is workable I think
> that's much much better than defaulting to instance. Thanks.

Yup I agree with everything said from a nova perspective. Our public
cloud operators were just asking about leaked allocations and if there
was tooling to report and clean that kind of stuff up. I explained we
have the heal_allocations CLI but that's only going to create
allocations for *instances* and only if those instances aren't deleted,
but we don't have anything in nova that deals with detection and cleanup
of leaked allocations, sort of like what this tooling does [1] but I
think is different.

So I was thinking about how we could write something in nova that reads
the allocations from placement and checks to see if there is anything in
there that doesn't match what we have for instances or migrations, i.e.
the server was deleted but for whatever reason an allocation was leaked.
To be able to determine what allocations are nova-specific today we'd
have to guess based on the resource classes being used, namely VCPU
and/or MEMORY_MB, but it of course gets more complicated once we start
adding supported for nested allocations and such. So consumer type will
help here, but we need it more than from the GET /usages API I think. If
I were writing that kind of report/cleanup tool today, I'd probably want
a GET /allocations API, but that might be too heavy (it would definitely
require paging support I think). I could probably get by with using GET
/resource_providers/{uuid}/allocations for each compute node we have in
nova, but again that starts to get complicated with nested providers
(what if the allocations are for VGPU?). Anyway, from a "it's better to
have something than nothing at all" perspective it's probably easiest to
just start with the easy thing and ask placement for allocations on all
compute node providers and cross-check those consumers against what's in
nova and if we find allocations that don't have a matching migration or
instance we could optional delete them.

[1] https://github.com/larsks/os-placement-tools

Matt