[placement][nova][ptg] Summary: Shared resource providers for shared disk on compute hosts
cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri May 3 20:08:00 UTC 2019
See also: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ptg-train-xproj-nova-placement
There's a spec in progress about turning on support for shared disk
providers . We discussed some of the details that need to be
resolved and actions that need to be taken.
The next action is for Tushar to update the spec to reflect the
decisions and alternatives:
* For some virt drivers, we need example one or two tools for:
* creating a shared disk provider, setting inventory, creating
aggregate, adding compute nodes to the aggregate
* updating inventory when the (absolute) size of the storage
These were initially discussed as example tools that live in the
placement repo but it might actually be better in nova. There's an
abandoned example  from long ago.
* Other virt drivers (and potentially Ceph w/libvirt if a reliable
source of identifier is available) will be able to manage this
sort of thing themselves in update_provider_tree.
* Other options (for managing the initial management of the shared
disk provider) include:
* write the provider info into a well-known file on the shared disk
* variations on the inventory.yaml file
* We would like to have shared disk testing in the gate. Matt has started
https://review.opendev.org/#/c/586363/ but it does not test multinode,
Note that apart from the sample tools described above, which might
be in the placement repo, the required actions here are on the nova
side. At least until we find bugs on the placement side resulting
from this work.
Chris Dent ٩◔̯◔۶ https://anticdent.org/
freenode: cdent tw: @anticdent
More information about the openstack-discuss