[cinder][ops] Nested Quota Driver Use?

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu May 2 00:32:50 UTC 2019

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to get some feedback from folks, especially operators.

In the Liberty release, Cinder introduced the ability to use a Nest Quota
Driver to handle cases of heirarchical projects and quota enforcement [0].

I have not heard of anyone actually using this. I also haven't seen any bugs
filed, which makes me a little suspicious given how complicated it can be.

I would like to know if any operators are using this for nested quotas. There
is an effort underway for a new mechanism called "unified limits" that will
require a lot of modifications to the Cinder code. If this quota driver is not
needed, I would like to deprecated it in Train so it can be removed in the U
release and hopefully prevent some unnecessary work being done.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sean

[0] https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/cinder-specs/specs/liberty/cinder-nested-quota-driver.html