[CI] nested virtualization support in OpenStack CI

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Mar 30 16:14:46 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-28 01:42:24 +0000 (+0000), Guo, Ruijing wrote:
> OpenStack CI runs on VM, which is not nested virtualization as:
>
> 2019-03-27 06:45:07.282 | flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl cpuid pni pclmulqdq ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes hypervisor lahf_lm pti
>
> however, I want to add new CI which depends on nested virtualization.
> which team can help me?

Currently the third bullet entry at
https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/testing.html#known-differences-to-watch-out-for
describes the situation with our CI resources. Our CI maintainers
lack sufficient insight into the hardware, hypervisors and host
kernels of the environments where these virtual machine resources
are donated for our use. In particular, until the state of nested
virtualization has stabilized long enough for it to become reliable
with mixed LTS GNU/Linux distributions and aging servers in many
public service providers, it's very hard for us to design for or
recommend relying on with upstream testing. We try to coordinate
with our donors to troubleshoot the various broken behaviors we
observe where possible, but it's far from a trivial exercise.
--
Jeremy Stanley