[nova] Privsep is not giving us any security

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sat Mar 30 02:54:51 UTC 2019

The reality is that privsep was always going to be a process. It's taken
more than 80 patches to get close to removing rootwrap.

There are other advantages to removing rootwrap, mainly around performance,
the integration of library code, and general non-bonkersness (cat to tee to
write to a file as root), etc.

There is president in the code to mark calls as undesirable, and others
could be marked like that as well, but ultimately someone needs to do an
audit and fix things... That's more than one person can reasonably do.

So, who wants to help try and improve this? Patches welcome.

Michael