[zun][k8s][tc] OpenStack Zun become the official provider for Virtual Kubelet

Hongbin Lu hongbin034 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 22:17:18 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 10:25 PM Mohammed Naser <mnaser at vexxhost.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 10:09 PM Hongbin Lu <hongbin034 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a good news to share. Right now, Zun is officially accepted [1]
> as OpenStack provider for Virtual Kubelet.
> >
> > A brief introduce. Virtual Kubelet is a CNCF sandbox project that allows
> cloud providers to implement Kubelet equivalent functionality. Existing
> providers of Virtual Kubelet are AWS Fargate, Azure Container Instance, etc.
> >
> > I think it is quite important for OpenStack to have a provider
> implementation in Virtual Kubelet, which basically makes OpenStack align
> with what other proprietary cloud providers in this territory.
>
> I agree with this, congrats on the work!
>
> look forward to see this deployed somewhere on our clouds, I think
> getting Kata integrated with Zun (or something like firecracker) is
> key for the success of this in a multi tenant environment

Agree.

Actually, we have people who were using Zun with Kata in before. Based on
what they reported [1], they were able to get Kata working with Zun.

Technically speaking, Zun is runtime agnostic, so any container runtime
(i.e. Kata, runc) should work properly with Zun as long as it can be
properly integrated with Docker Engine. If anyone tries Kata with Zun and
finds something wrong, please feel free to report a bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/zun .

I would definitely encourage Zun team to work closely with Kata team to
improve the integration between them.

[1]
https://github.com/kata-containers/runtime/issues/48#issuecomment-379364439